Thursday, July 18, 2013

ItalianAmerican - Another tribute to Scorsese

"This post is not about rating this movie but just so as not to break the streak, I give it 4 stars".


One of my friends today had posted a quote on Facebook from this author called Alba de Cespedes and her "Forbidden Notebook" (which after a Google search seemed to have only been published in Iran!) who had said in this book "A woman should never have spare time and should always keep busy, otherwise she would instantly obsess over [think of] love."

And here's my verdict: Couldn't be more true! Of course in my case, at least at this time, it has turned into a Scorsese-obsession!

I have a ton of papers spread in front of me for my thesis's lit-review which only makes me want to bang my head against the wall, and yet here I am sitting in a 90-something degree temperature,
allowing my thoughts to wander off (just to take a break you know) and my mind starts sprinting towards my recent obsession, and the privilege is of course the master's himself.

So, anywho, since the Scorsese festival has begun since 2 weeks ago in Amherst Cinema, I have decided to take on an extensive course of going over his work and basically doing my homework before indulging myself in his movies. Of course not all of them, since being a student brings along an array of disadvantages, one of which having a limited budget to go to the movies. So I decided to narrow the movies down to the ones I haven't yet had the chance of seeing (Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and King of Comedy...I know, I know...for a person claiming to be a Scorsese fan, not seeing these movies is like a sin). I also saw Mean Streets recently, for which I am yet to write a review on but have decided to hold off a bit to see what exactly I make of.

Anyway, in the course of doing the research, I found out that Scorsese believes (or at least did about 15 years ago) that this documentary, ItalianAmerican, is the best movie he's ever made. After watching it on YouTube I decided that I agree with him! The movie is also of interest to me, since he describes how the non-fight scenes in Raging Bull were adapted from this documentary. Also, it was good to get familiar with his mother's personality (who I think Scorsese is a splitting image of!) who has had minor roles in Mean Streets and Goodfellas.

So, I think what I am trying to say here is, watch this documentary...whenever you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment