Sunday, October 20, 2013

Gravity

"3 stars out of 4"

I think 2.5 stars of the 3 that I just gave this movie, go to the visual effects of this movie and the rest to acting, directing, and story line. Actually, storyline gets the least bit since it wasn't a unique or an original one.

This movie was a visual marvel. Of course most of it is owed to the progress in technology but not everyone could have put it into good use, right? And who better to do it other than Alfonso Cuaron? I wouldn't list him as one of my favorite directors (because it is such a high privilege that not everyone deserves it!) but now that I think about it, maybe I should. Every other movie that he directs, makes it way up to being one of the best. From "Y Tu Mama Tambien" to the magnificent "Children of Men" to one of the best adaptations of the best book from the Harry Potter series (in my humble opinion and of course in Spielberg's), the Prisoner of Azkaban. But I think this time he has stepped out of his usual work into a new spectrum and has masterfully created one of the best thrillers in recent years.

The story starts with an amazing view above the earth in space where 3 astronauts are working to repair their spaceship. But soon it is reported that while the Russians (well, of course!) were trying to dismantle one of their old satellites, things have gotten out of hand and it has created a debris storm that is coming their way. But before they get a chance of moving they are hit and their space shuttle is beyond repair now and they have to seek help from other space stations, while they are down in oxygen and their connection to base is lost.

This movie is literally concise and to the point. No wonder that it has a rather short running time and let this be a lesson to all the directors out there...it is fine. As a spectator, I would rather go to the theater and be entertained for 90 minutes than get stuck in the dark theater half amused, half frustrated and keep looking at my watch (yes, I am talking to you Baz Luhrman. Moulin Rouge! was fine though). 

Another thing that I liked about this movie was the fact that instead of dragging the intro part forever, the action part started sooner than you would have expected. And it kept on surprising you. It wouldn't let you get comfy in your seat but more likely to keep you on the edge of it.

As for acting, Goerge Clooney was the charming self that he is as always. Bringing the wit to the table when you needed it the most while you were gasping. I wasn't very fond of Sandra Bullock though. She has had her ups and downs in her career but this one was...well, definitely not up but not as down either. And while I found myself as breathless as her character at times, I would attribute that to the director rather than the actor's art.

And what is it with the Russian reference? Shouldn't we be over the whole feud by now, or is it too soon?! When I first thought of this in the theater, I tried to justify it with the fact that well...maybe it is only them who could match the technology of the US (and unlike US, they screw things up by blowing their satellites and oops! It's on its way to hit the US space stations by [air-quote] "accident"). But then the Chinese station made its way into the story. Couldn't it be them who made the mistake since they are new to the whole space arena and well...their products are "Made in China"? But no, I think we owe them too many trillion dollars as for now and can't bring any jokes on them just yet. Chinese to the rescue!

If we disregard the cartoon side of the story (fire-extinguisher...Wall-e...hello?), this movie captures a good vision of rebirth and the survival instinct.

While I was on a trip in San Francisco this past summer, we met a French lady who owned a store in Sausalito. She was telling us how she had moved here because of a guy 20 years back and how her daughters were still in Paris and she tries to keep in touch with them. Apparently, things hadn't worked out that well for her but what she said in the end was that "...the survival instinct is strong in humans" and I couldn't agree more. Even if it is not for ourselves at times (which actually is most of the time), it is for the sake of our loved ones. Or maybe that also is a part of the whole survival instinct thing...trying to find motivations to survive. Like for myself, the other day an a**-hole driving a car, missed me by an inch because he was driving on the wrong side of the road (or maybe passed by me so closely on purpose since it was dark and I was walking close to the road where no car was passing by and was more lit than the pavement). Why I was grateful at that moment for not being hit by that car was the fact that it would have devastated my parents who live far away. But then again...things aren't that bad in my life to be wishing for being hit by a car.

I'll leave you with this note, sure it had many thriller/SciFi cliches (the happy one getting killed off first), sure at times Sandra Bullock would get on your nerves, but this movie is a must see. For at least once. Just so you can experience an eye-caressing imagery.

[Maybe the gloomy people don't get killed off so they can get a second chance in life and appreciate its beauty.]

No comments:

Post a Comment