Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Magic in the Moonlight


"2 stars out of 4"
 
There is no such thing as a “bad” Woody Allen movie. Just that there are those that you want to watch over and over again: Manhattan, Match Point, or even Scoop (which I love) Hannah and Her Sisters…Should I go on? And then there are those that you watch once, somewhat enjoy the enchantment and then you can let dust sit on it (off the top of my mind Everyone Says I Love You). Well, that’s not completely fair. Allen movies deserve to be dusted. This one is one of the movies that you can let dust sit on it.

I don’t take criticism well and don’t want to bring the same down feeling on someone else, so I’ll start off with this. For someone who brings us Match Point, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Scoop (not critically acclaimed…actually quite the opposite, but had to throw it in there), Midnight in Paris, and Blue Jasmine among others, in the span of only 8 years, I think seeing a not even terrible, just “okay”, movie from him is completely fine. So, give him a break!

The storyline, as you might very well know, is about a girl who claims to be in contact with spirits and the other world or a “medium” (played by Emma Stone), and a magician (played by Colin Firth), who is invited by a fellow magician to meet this “medium” to unravel her work being fake.

I believe Allen had written this magician part for himself. A typical Allen characteristic that we have all come to know, who is afraid of death and always dwells on the thought of after life and seeks a reassurance that life will not end by death. This same character, as he puts it himself, desperately needs to know that the girl is not a fake and that afterlife truly exists. When I came out of the theater, all I could think was that Allen himself would’ve been perfect for this part. Much funnier than the English gentleman that Firth is (he is one of my favorite actors, it’s just that he wasn’t exactly cut out for this part; whereas the stuttering, nervous, overly-confident Allen would’ve made this movie memorable. Probably one of the reasons why Scoop has been engraved in my mind as a memorable movie). Probably the only reason that held him back from playing this part was his age. Another thought that kept bugging me while watching the movie was that I hope he sticks around much much longer…I can’t imagine a year go by without a feature from him.

Back to the movie from my (ironically) grave thoughts…I wasn’t particularly fond of the quick fix that Allen used by the end to bring everything to the end. Many things remained unresolved, that for me was a little uncomfortable! I mean, there are movies that are supposed to let you lingering so you can have your own take on it. But I guess what happened here was that he had this story of life and death and he didn’t care much how it should come to an end. The same goes for the love story. It wasn’t well thought out and there was little to no chemistry. He didn’t go in depth as much as he should have to show us the relationship that grows. It was…it was too abrupt!

BUT! I bring this note to an end with this…the 2 stars that I have given to this movie is not to be compared with my previous 2 star-rated movies. It is only to be used for comparison with other Allen movies. Otherwise it would be an extrapolation (didn’t think I can apply biostatistics to daily life. Huh! New horizons to be explored!). The magic of Allen’s work still is tangible in this movie and you’ll enjoy the dialogue as much as any of his other works…only that the frequency of enjoyment will not be as often as some of his past films!

Footnote: Thank you for condolences over Chris Martin’s coupling with Jennifer Lawrence. But if he is to end up with another person, I’d rather it be that crazy, adorable Jennifer Lawrence. I wish I could call her my BFF one day. This wish beats the thought of having Martin as my BF!

No comments:

Post a Comment