Sunday, October 26, 2014

Gone Girl


"3.5 stars out of 4"

The thrilling thing about Gone Girl is how realistic it is. I have met pathological liars. Heck, I have been friends with them. Have been robbed of my trust and naivety. But the scary part is that they are among us, and not only they are not going away but they are sticking to their guns and standing their ground. I day dream myself. But there is a very fine line between daydreaming and taking personal action in directing that dream in real life, no matter how scary that might be. There must've been a comprehensive psychological analysis behind this book/screenplay for bringing this specific character into life (I am not mentioning which, just so I don't spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet). But all I want to say that the people who cannot distinguish between reality and thoughts are usually the ones who are excellent writers or are very intellectually advanced in the literature field.

Another brilliant move about making this movie was getting the writer of the book herself to write the screenplay for this movie and what an excellent job has she done. You might have noticed by now  from my previous reviews is that my favorite type of screenplay is a "witty" one and this one is very high class in that regard.

Career-wise and personal-life-wise, Ben Affleck has come a very long long way throughout the years but unfortunately he's still what I consider to be a mediocre actor at most. A very good director is what he has become and what he should stick to.

However, his counterpart in this movie is who takes this movie far ahead of its genre. Rosamund Pike is not the fleeting "Jane Bennett" that we remember anymore. She has stepped out of the shadow of the likes of Keira Knightly and stepped into the heart of the spotlight. Her portrayal of Amy Dunne will make your hair stand on end. I am not sure if her gaze at the beginning of the movie was different than the one at the end or not but what I saw (or what I was under the illusion of) went from helpless and insecure to "having someone whipped"! Like I said, I am not sure if the two scenes were actually different or it was something weird that my mind was trying to pull off on me, but either way it was a brilliant move...whether Fincher had intentionally made two very identical scenes slightly different or that his storytelling had made my mind make up stories of its own.

And my final word...twists, twists, twists. Gotta love them. I'm guessing even bad twists, can make a movie memorable. I recently saw Good Will Hunting (I know...waaay overdue!) and I couldn't love the ending any better. I will leave that for another post but what a bad timing on my part in giving an example. It shouldn't have followed the sentence about the "bad twist" because Good Will Hunting is an exceptional movie. I just couldn't help mentioning it. And its twist!

Enjoy this movie. It was about time we got a good one after a dead year for cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment