Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sherlock


I had been resisting watching the (almost) new series of Sherlock for as long as I could. Because I was madly in love with the original series (or was it original? I don't know!), starring my beloved Jeremy Brett, and even the idea of the new Sherlock series which is based in today's London, not only repelled me but seemed ridiculous. So I got the two first seasons of the series from a friend back in Iran and brought it here with me and had stayed away from it until this week, and may I say what a mistake! What a loss, in my part! I was appalled! I can't find another word to show how much I was amazed and impressed...to the extent where I think if Sir Arthur Conan Doyl lived in the 21st century, would have written this book the way the writers of this series are writing it. What I mean is what they claim to be "based" on his works is actually brilliant. I have watched the original series over and over, so I know almost all the stories. For example, in his masterpiece, the hound of the Baskervilles, they have been able to come up with a new story which shows the power of the writers. When you come to think of the bigger image, what the writers in the so many versatile series that we see nowadays is unimaginable.

As for my dear Mr Holmes, not only I was not let down, but have come to love the new Holmes portrayed by the young Benedict Cumberbatch and I have justified it in few different ways. One is that he almost portrays this character almost the same way that Jeremy Brett had done. The other is that he is charismatic. But the one that I think is the best explanation is the character itself. Because I have even liked the Robert Downey Jr version of it. Of course, Jeremy Brett was incomparable but either there is no way someone can act bad while playing this character or we have been lucky that the industry has chosen the perfect fits for it all along.

Dr Watson is also amiable in his role. BUT...oh this big BUT! It has been on my nerves since the last episode of the first season...Moriarty! The new Moriarty is played by someone whose name I don't even want or care to look up! He tries "too hard" to be a villain. I mean, the original Moriarty, you would get scared even by looking at him! But the new one, with his nerdy look, not only has managed to ruin the majesty of this character but as I said, he just tries too hard. He tries too hard to show that his voice is soft or tries to say the lines the way that I think is supposed to scare the s*** out of us but it only makes us say "Oh, come on! Boring!". He acts too much. Oh, that's what I have been looking for...yes...acts too much! His acting is not credible. This is the biggest flaw of the series and honestly, I wouldn't mind if they changed the actor who plays him, even though it is its third season!

I also miss the old Lestrade (am I spelling it right?!). The old one tried to compete with Holmes and that made him the funny part of the series but the new one always takes Holmes's side and is basically idle.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you that if you are looking for a new series to take on watching, this should be on your list. Unless you haven't seen Breaking Bad which is unforgivable! Get out of my blog! Just kidding...don't...'cause I have a limited audience! :D I don't wanna lose you...I love you! Just kidding! Anywho! As I was saying, start watching Breaking Bad to catch up because the last season would be airing on August 11 and you don't wanna miss it!

(I am feeling ashamed to confess that I had been watching Desperate Housewives Not because I were enjoying them but because I was looking for a procrastination to avoid watching Sherlock! It wasn't that bad in the first few seasons but in the last few...the repetition and the cliches had made it unbearable. If you are asking why I kept watching it was because I have this annoying habit of watching everything and finishing everything to the very end...unless if I have 2 presentations due in a day and a meeting on the same day, that I would choose to come here the night before and right these nonsense! So, yes...that's what I'm doing right now...procrastination!)

No comments:

Post a Comment