Sunday, June 23, 2013

So...why did I vote?!


I have been asked this question over and over for the past week. It was the presidential elections in Iran and based on what happened in the previous elections and the results got rigged, many (including me until 2 weeks before the elections) thought that voting is pointless. When they are the deciders of what going to happen eventually, then why bother?!

One of the arguments that the boycotters had was that with a large turnout at the elections, we are validating this regime. Well, that is not entirely true. First off, the authorities are going to film the crowded lines they find or pull some footage from their archives to show that there was a huge turnout anyway. So, it had been proven in the past that boycotting for this reason has not been helpful. So isn't it better to vote for someone who is a reformist or "has reformist intentions" rather than a hardline conservatives to show that we are against this regime, which is mostly ruled by the Islamic fundamentalists and supporters of the conservatives?

Many say "why do you care? You're not living there, yet you are deciding the fate of the ones inside of Iran?! Let them do it themselves!"
I have even heard some Iranians say "it is no longer our country" or "as long as it is ruled by these scums, I don't care"!

Well, I am not deciding the fate of Iranians inside the country. I am deciding my own fate. I am an Iranian...I love my country and my people...and I would do anything to make it a better place for myself and for my loved ones so I can go back and live where I belong. As my mom always says, we are counted as second-rated citizens in Western countries. So, instead of staying here and trying to prove that I am something that I am not, I would rather put that energy into good use and help build my country over again and turn it into a better place. I would rather vote and help my people pull out of the chasm they have fallen into over the past 8 years than not vote and let yet another despicable figure represent me and my country and cast yet another shadow upon the lives of the people who are falling deeper and deeper into despair everyday. I want someone worthy of me, worthy of my people represent me in the world's eyes so I can stick my head up high and once again say proudly that I am an Iranian, rather than get into arguments to prove that we are not all hostile towards the world!

I know my vote was most probably not counted and was just counted out of curiosity for the officials to report back what the Iranians outside of Iran are thinking and who are they voting for, that would suffice for me! I just want to voice my opinion, voice my opposition towards their policies by voting for a person who they don't approve as much as others than sit and do nothing.

Yes, I do too agree that the elected president was basically the same as the other candidates and that he is no saint. He has done his fair share of wrong doings over the past and his hands are, as we call it, covered with blood! But I do believe that for now, we need someone who the supreme leader somewhat approves and we need to take baby steps to get to democracy.

Changing the whole country overnight is not only impossible but the people don't have the so called "political/social maturity" to appreciate the democracy and guard it once they get it. Unfortunately, most of the population in Iran, mostly consisting of the youth, think of democracy as "being able to have fun without getting caught"! Of course, I don't blame them. It is quite normal at this age to want to go out with friends and have parties but for the past 30-something years, this energy has been suppressed extensively by the government or better yet to say, the regime. So, it is natural for people to want what they have been deprived of and for many young adults, who are not that much in financial distress, being able to have fun is the goal! So you see what I mean? This country is not ready for the big step yet.

Some of the boycotters said, voting doesn't help anything and we want the situation to get so bad that people wouldn't be able to stand it and overthrow the ruler.
Well, first of all, the lives of the people you can talk so easily about, are the same people that you belong to. They are you parents, your uncles, your cousins. Many of whom want to escape this hell of a mess but can't and many who choose to stay because they belong there. It is their right to stay in a place where they know as home and hope for a better day to come. I can't wish for a disaster to happen just so the dictator is overthrown!

Moreover, it is not possible right now. For those who think they can change the country, not by voting, and in a bigger scale, who basically are expecting a miracle, I say more power to ya! But who are you going to replace this regime with? Who is going to be your leader? Without a leader, any revolution would be doomed to fail. More importantly, starting a movement without clear objectives, without a solid and reliable leader, a leader would be chosen for you (almost the same thing that happened in the Iranian revolution 40 years ago).

So why repeat the past? Also, again I can't emphasize this enough, the nation is not ready for that. I don't want them to go through another rough patch yet again. Our people have suffered enough. What I want is a steady government (the same as Khatami's for now will do), a government and a president who are moderates and who can stabilize the country, especially the financial aspect, so people once again can put their heads down on their pillows at night more serenely, without the fear of what might happen tomorrow, if there will be a war break out, if they will go hungry, if they can secure a good future for their children and themselves.

We, well not we per se, but our ancestors have fought hard for the right to vote and I am clasping hard to it. I don't want to let it slip from my hands so easily and I don't want it taken away from me on the grounds that I don't use it...so why have it?!

I have boycotted before and that time the result turned out to be an 8-year torture! The number of boycotters was more than the number of votes cast in the president's favor. So you can see where we went wrong.

Furthermore, I know that every time I am voting, I am taking a chance...I am making myself vulnerable...I am putting my vote out there where it can be dismissed...but I gain two precious things in return.
First of all, they might rig the elections whenever they want but I am not letting them get what they want that easy! They should fight me, and all my brothers and sisters who voted. So I am actually making them vulnerable, not myself!
Secondly, if I don't vote, and the elections do get rigged, I have no right to ask where my vote is! Many of the boycotted the elections in respect of the people who died protesting in the post-elections clashes with the government (or regime actually). I hear ya, and I am with you. Every blood shed 4 years ago is sacred. But I want to have the chance to fight for their right, help get their efforts acknowledged, than standby and see that the fight they started is being neglected and going to waste. You can have your way of showing your respect for them, but this is mine. Their fight and their blood shouldn't go to waste...I don't want them to be forgotten. I am sure you would say we don't want either, but remember what their ideology was...what they were doing when they died...and the only way to make sure they won't be forgotten is to continue their paths.

I wanted to take a step which will make things ready so that my last elected president, Moosavi, and the rest of the activists detained after the last elections be freed and can join their families and loved ones once again.

Last word, the first spark of the inclination to vote in me started when I thought that should I ever become a journalist, I have a responsibility towards my country and I can't ever claim to have been interested in the fate of my country and my people if I didn't take action and did the least I can do right now, which is to VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment