Sunday, February 10, 2013

BAFTA 2013



The BAFTA awards was held tonight in London, where Argo topped the list for best film of the year.

So here's another win for Argo which seems to have swept all the awards of the season for best picture of the year. I really wish I could say that now we can be 100% sure that it'll also be the winner at the Oscars, but the BAFTA doesn't seem to be very reliable as the outstanding British film of the year was awarded to Skyfall, ahead of Les Miserables and Anna Karennina (though I hadn't liked the latter that much either but it was surely better than Skyfall).
And I have this uneasy feeling that the guys at the Academy will want to honor Spielberg's movie. We'll have to wait and see.

Here's the link to the list of BAFTA winners:

By the way, speaking of Argo, I was watching the Golden Globes with a few of my Iranian friends here (with whom I've seen Argo), and one of them kept saying that it's not fair for Argo to win and Lincoln is the one that deserves it and stuff like this. Then I turned to him and asked him what he had against Argo! He said that it said based on a true story but not all parts of it was real! For example, the scene where they were chased by the guards in the airport in Iran or the way the guy yelled at them at the airport. Not all of these things had happened.
Let me tell you that my mind was ready to explode when I heard his argument! I said "Exactly! It says "based", it doesn't say we chronicled all their movements. If they had, it would've been called a documentary, not a movie! And yes not all of them had happened in real life, the chasing part was so obviously unreal, but we have this thing called "dramatized for TV" and they have to do that, otherwise the film wouldn't have been as exciting as it was!". And for the guard's behavior at the airport, I told him that all of us have encountered someone like that in Iran. The Basiji militia are usually like that!
And he said "No, take Lincoln. Everything was exactly the same as it had happened!". I asked if the conversations between Lincoln and his wife in the movie were "exactly" the same as they had happened in real life! He had nothing to say but he kept arguing that Argo shouldn't have said "based on a true story"! Well, I only have a few explanations for myself for his behavior. Either he's a Basiji himself (which I highly doubt), or he pretends to know all about movies while in fact he's just someone we call "jav-geer" in Iran! Who watches one movie and thinks he knows all about them but in fact is not able to interpret their value and message and at least what I can say for sure is that he doesn't know the meaning of "based on a true story"!

GOD these people who think they are always right make me mad! But I refused to argue with him any further. For three reasons. Firstly, I didn't wanna bring myself down to his level. Second of all, what's the point of arguing with someone whose mind is set up. Arguing is only valuable when both parties have doubts in their minds and are open to change. And the last and most important part is that one of our family friends back home, who loved me like his daughter, once sat me down and said "I have 3 advices for you that will help you be calm and happy in life" and one of them was not to try to prove anything!

So, there you go!

And that's all folks!

2 comments:

  1. Don't try to prove yourself and also "ganiyin xarab emala". And even if you do, maybe writing your impression of it rather than the whole argument would be a better idea. First, you might change your mind about that person or simply get into a situation where you can easily deny what you said. However, it will be very hard to deny a written document.
    Second, the presence of it in this blog will distract the reader from the real reason behind this blog.
    As I said, it is alright to keep the reasoning behind your argument but not the argument itself or your judgements about that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, true! I'll keep that in mind for future reference! ;)

      Delete