Sunday, February 24, 2013

It's Oscar night! :D

What's the point of this blog if there is no Oscar predictions?! :D

So here we go!

Best picture:

Amour, Argo, Beasts of the southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty

My prediction: Lincoln. (My hope: Argo!)

Although from the ones I've seen, I've really liked Silver Linings and Django as well, but I've gotta say I really hope Argo wins. I think it deserves it. But I have this uneasy feeling that the Academy will want to honor Spielberg's movie. First of all, it's a Spielberg movie. Secondly, it' about Lincoln. Furthermore, president Clinton showed up at the Golden Globes to introduce this movie! But we'll have to wait and see!


Actor in a Leading Role:

Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook), Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquin Phoenix (The Master), Denzel Washington (Flight)

My prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis.

Before seeing Silver Linings, I had just seen Words from Bradley and I remember telling my brother that he doesn't play from the heart and his performance is completely textbook! But when I saw Silver Linings I changed my mind about him. He obviously has passed the textbook point. But still, to win the best actor of the year...I don't know! I think Daniel Day-Lewis should win. I must say I haven't seen Lincoln yet but he has the character of a winner! :D And based on what we have seen from him before, he can't do wrong when it comes to acting or any other thing for that matter!
But if they give the Oscar to Hugh Jackman, I've gotta say, I'd be really disappointed!
And what a come back for Joaquin Phoenix; after he announced he was done with acting about 6 years ago, with this nomination he showed that he's certainly not!

  
Actress in a Leading Role:

 Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour), Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), Naomi Watts (The Impossible)

My prediction: Jennifer Lawrence

What can I say?! She stole it! The role, the movie from Bradley! Everything! And has swept all the awards this season for her role in this movie. Amazing. No doubt about it!


Actor in a Supporting Role:

Alan Arkin (Argo), Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook), Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Master), Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln), Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

My Prediction: Christoph Waltz

When I first saw Inglorious Bastards, it was after I knew that there is an actor in it, who's Austrian, new, and has won the Oscar and all other awards for this movie! And boy did he deserve it! Inglorious Bastards is one of those movies that I've watched like a hundred times and the main reason for this was to watch his performance over and over again! It's acting in its best class!
As for this movie, if I watch Django again, one of the main reasons would be to watch Christoph Waltz. I absolutely love him!
Alan Arkin was also good in Argo, but no one can match Waltz. I want him to win so bad! Even more than Argo for best picture! 
The list of nominees in this category makes you say wow! All of them have won before. As Seth MacFarlane said when announcing the nominees, "a breath of fresh air in this category"! :D


Actress in a Supporting Role:

Amy Adams (The Master), Sally Field (Lincoln), Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables), Helen Hunt (The Sessions), Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook)

My Prediction: Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway's preformance was really good in Les Miz, but I never thought that she would be the Oscar favorite! Since I've only seen Jacki Weaver's performance among the other nominees, and Anne's performance was definitely better than hers, I'll just assume that it was also better than the rest! So the Oscar rightfully goes to Anne Hathaway!

Animated Feature Film:

Brave, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, Wreck-It Ralph

My Prediction: Brave (My hope: Frankenweenie!)

Have seen none of these, but being an avid Tim Burton fan, I hope his wins. But I've heard a lot of good stuff about Brave, so be it!
I'm just glad Hotel Transylvania didn't get nominated. It was the first movie that I saw when I got here, and it sure as hell didn't deserve a Golden Globe nomination, let alone an Oscar! It wasn't bad, it was just "OK"! 


Directing:
 
Amour (Michael Haneke), Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin), Life of Pi (Ang Lee), Lincoln (Steven Spielberg), Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell)

My prediction: Steven Spielberg

What a shame that Ben Affleck didn't make the cut. However, my other prediction is that they would make Spielberg the best director and give the best picture award to Argo, to be fair!
David O. Russell is another favorite in this category...at least a favortie of mine! ;)


Foreign Language Film:

Amour (Austria), Kon-Tiki (Norway), No (Chile), A Royal Affair (Denmark), War Witch (Canada)

My Prediction: Amour

Do I even need to explain?! It is as obvious as A Separation was last year!!!


Music- Original Song:

"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice, Music & Lyric by J. Ralph
"Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted, Music by Walter Murphy & Lyric by Seth MacFarlane
"Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi, Music by Michael Danna & Lyric by Bombay Jayashri
"Skyfall" from Skyfall, Music & Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
"Suddenly" from Les Miserables, Music by Claude-Michel Schonberg & Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

My Prediction:  Skyfall (Adele) 

Again, it couldn't be more obvious! I hate to make predictions when I haven't seen or heard all the nominees but Adele's Skyfall was so good that not even it had a post exclusively for itself in my blog (!) but also it is so good that tells all the other songs "Bring it on!"
No question about it!
Good to see our host nominated by the way! :D


Adapted Screenplay:

Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook

My Prediction: Silver Linings Playbook

Absolutely loved this movie and its script, the dialogs, just everything! Gotta give it to O. Russell for writing and directing this brilliant movie.


Original Screenplay:

Amour (Michael Haneke), Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino), Flight (John Gatins), Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, Roman Copola), Zero Dark Thirty (Mark Boal)

One word: Tarantino!





Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to my Oscar party! :D
Can't wait to see MacFarlane as host.
I just learned that the cast of Chicago are reuniting for a music and dance number after the last award is presented.

I had no time to write about the technical awards, so sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment