Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

"Fluctuates between 2.75 and 3 stars"!

Boy did I have fun watching this movie! I can't remember the last time I laughed this much in a theater or any other place watching a movie for that matter! Actually now that I think about it, I do! It wasn't a movie per se but today at gym I was watching Kolah Ghermezi, an Iranian puppet show (and I looked like a retard laughing while looking at the machine's monitor!), which is hilaaarious!

Of course, since I watched the movie with a friend it must have had affected my laughing rate! You know because of the "group watching effect"...you don't know?! Well, probably because I just invented it! But you must have noticed how everything seems funnier when watching a comedy with a group of people. However, when you come to think of it, it is odd how a sad movie isn't that sad when you are with a group of people...like the way I felt watching "Amour" with my friends...or maybe it's just me! Eh...I can't believe I just wrote a whole paragraph justifying why I laughed at this movie so bad! Forgetting that it was probably because it was a good comedy!

The movie starts with introducing Burt (Steve Carrell), the main character, when he was a kid. He was this nerd-looking, loser-type of kid that, of course, was teased by other kids until one day when he receives this magic kit for his birthday and starts doing tricks and soon finds another loser friend who eventually becomes his partner, Anton (Steve Buscemi), in show biz. They start getting famous and get a permanent gig at a hotel in Vegas. (The movie is funny from the start...the kids' scene alone will keep you laughing for quite some time! Don't judge me if you don't laugh when watching this movie! Apparently I must've had a low threshold for "fun"!)
We learn along the way that Burt has also turned into a kind of a narcissist A-hole! Their success keeps running until a competition turns up , Steve Gray (Jim Carrey), who reminded me of Criss Angel, the crazy guy from "Contact", and of course, the ultimate crazy magician, Mr Jesus himself! Of course, what he does is not magic but crazy self-destructing stuff, but as the hotel manager explains to Burt, it doesn't matter if it is not magic because people are always looking for something new, and this is something new. Slowly, their success starts to fade and they start to lose their audience. Along the way, Burt comes to realize the importance of friendship and life while he stumbles on the road of getting back to success.

What keeps this movie from becoming a B or even C class movie is the acting. The actors have done a superb job. Otherwise, it would have been no more than a mediocre movie. I have come to admire Alan Arkin more and more, each time that I see a movie that he is in. The role Jim Carrey is playing couldn't have been played by no one other than himself, with his strange elasticity! This ensemble shows the importance of actors in making a comedy...who can turn a before-seen-script into a wonderful experience for those who go to see this movie.

If you are looking for a movie to go watch soon and have fun, this is the one! I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to those who appreciate a simple funny movie. Actually at this point I am tilting more towards 3 stars!

By the way, stay tuned for a crack-up at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment